Thursday, June 21, 2018

2018 Duluth Enduro Series #1

Went over to Duluth for the first Enduro Series. This is the third year I think they have been doing the Enduro series in Duluth and they are a ton of fun. The Duluth Series is a Wednesday night race series. Each race has two stages, both timed and the combined time from both stages determines the winner. I really enjoy doing them, the courses remind me more of the old school cross country races when I first started racing mountain bikes. The racing doesn't gas you out like the high speed fast rolling cross country races in Minnesota now. Plus, I get to see Jake and Anna and I usually try to spend the night and get a ride in the next morning before heading home. 
 The first race of the season was at Hawks Ridge and Lester Park. The Hawk Ridge segment is rocky, bumpy and feels like more climbing than it is. The downhill guys grumble with any pedaling but to me that is what defines Enduro, a little bit of climbing and "endurance" en route to the bottom finish from a higher point.
 Racers gathered in the parking lot before hand.
 Max Fireak, Jake and Maplelag team member Eleanor Bacso. Jake and Eleanor have been dominating the series. Even though Jake has the eyewear, the blinky disease prevails.
 After the race I got to see my grand dog, Jake's girlfriend Anna and Jake's sword he now uses to protect his family. He won the sword at a 12 stage Enduro race put on by Max the weekend before in Duluth. A legit sword!
The next morning I went out for a solo ride on my favorite trails in  Duluth, Piedmont and the Kissing Booth trail on the Brewer Park trail system. I flatted on the super rocky trails at Piedmont than limped in to switch bikes to finish out ride in Brewer. Running full suspension this year and it is really nice.
 Met up with Jake for a quick lunch ride, hitting up some new trail near his house. Crazy how fast new trail is being built pretty much daily.
 Fun following Jake as he knows the trail system so well and just flies through the stuff.
Old school trail near Jake's house.

Can't wait to get back!

No comments: