Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Winter is moving on by. Kids are at full tilt. Having fun and working hard and Mom and Dad trying to keep up. In service day on Monday had kids at home plus a friend. With blizzardlike conditions outside, all activities canceled. A welcomed day of staying at home. Adventurous weather last weekend kept us on our toes but turned out to be quite the event, leaving the woods solid white and like nothing I have seen before on the Maplelag trails.


Last Friday the dreaded winter rain started to fall. Changed to sleet and a quarter inch had accumulated. I busted home from the lodge cuz I knew it would be fast and wanted to see if Jake was up for a quick ski. We went out for a quick lap on Skaters (turned over to rain) but the conditions were crazy fast. Not icy but the sleet and rain made things quick. Total control with good edging and made more exciting with no head lamps. Figured with the wind at our backs on some of the long downhills we had to be pushing 30mph. Way faster than anything I have done on a bike on the same trail.


Turned out to be a nice snow event with 10" or so falling between Saturday morning and Monday. The rain did a number though on the branches and everything is drooping in the woods right now. There are sections of trail that are not passable without getting knocked in the face/windshield and getting completely covered with snow. I can't ever recall grooming in conditions like this. I doubt the trails will be like they were earlier in the year as far as clearance but the woods are a total wonderland and all worth it. TJ has been clearing nicely and things are slowly improving. Be careful on the downhills!
The sugar base absorbed the rain nicely and once it cooled down, set up rock solid and able to support the Pisten Bully. Always nice to take the PB out when conditions are such. Still prefer to snowmobile groom but when conditions warrant, the PB gets the job done nicely.
Huge congrats to Garrot Kuzzy who was named to the Olympic team yesterday. Kuzzy has never ski raced at Maplelag but did show up for the Maplelag Spring Opener in 2007. From the times I have talked to Garrot, kid just loves to ski, works his tail off and has a great positive attitude. Pretty much the formula. Great to see another MN get the nod for Nordic. I did and interview with Kuzzy back in the Fall of 07. I think the only time I skied race against Garrot was during the Pole Pedal Pant when it used to be held at Giants Ridge. It was the year they had the entire course on the ski trails. Ski on Silver, biking on snowmobile trails and bronze maybe and the running on gold. I remember it well because the conditions were perfect in my book and only time I took the win. Garrott, Grant Nelson and I broke free from the pack on the 10k skate. Having done it in the past, I knew it took too much time to completely switch to bike shoes so I left the ski boots on and ran toe clips. Ski boots are stiff and work nicely anyways and was able to get tight enough to keep things secure. I don't think I ran much before the event but enough to hold the guys charging hard behind me. Good times at the PPP. Every year was different. Could be hard and icy, wet and soft and bunch of fresh snow like one year we camped out and woke up to a collapsed tent!

Jonell playing shiny with the boys and putting the stone on Jens!

Big week coming up with Sections!! The most exciting time of year for HS Nordic skiing! Good luck to everyone!

No comments: