Thursday, December 03, 2015

Mexico Fall 2015

The other week Jonell and I snuck down to Puerto Vallarta Mexico for four days. It has been super crazy busy since the middle of August and we really needed a break to re-charge. 

I first went to PV back in the early 70's when my parents used to drive down there from MN. I was 3 I think and I don't really remember much other than sleeping on the floor board of the car and getting my hair cut which was a scream fest and I am sure the guy gutting my hair wasn't having much fun either. Since then, we have been going down there the last 40 years, missing a few years here and there. Over the years we have checked out a couple different places such as Sayulita and Lo De Marcos to the north when we brought all the kids down and more recently south near Tomatlan and Mismaloya when just Jonell and I, as we did this year and seen from near area we stayed south. 

PV was in the headline news middle of October with the monster hurricane Patricia. But all that happened in PV was some mist and a little wind. Since then the locals report weather being humid. The general thinking that PV still got hit by a hurricane resulted in slightly lower airfare and cheaper hotel fare when using one of the many online options. Also was pretty quiet. Not sure of the hotel zone which has all the inclusive resorts and we stay away from those.
Like the past 20 years, I brought a bike down. The taxi drivers aren't as laid back as they used to be and get a bit more uptight when they see a bike after I negotiated a price with the middle man in the hotel lobby. Always works out and when I tell them they need to take some shots of tequila they laugh and carry on.
Morning spin near the bay of Tomatlan south of PV.
Heading up into the mountains.
The hurricane did hit farther south, which was devastating to the smaller communities. The rivers were also running like I have never seen before.
We discovered a new hot sauce made locally and had a hard time finding it. Once we did, we cleared them out.
Multiple date nights in a row. Thumbs up!!
Down from the mountains to sell to local vendors.
Checking out a local spice shop for salsa. Came out with cinnamon and locally harvested and roasted coffee.
Riding up in to the mountains near Junta Veranos. The roads are a bit better than they were 20 years ago and now the workers clearing in the jungle use orange cones.
And orange vests. Took a while to get this guy the message I wanted a photo of him and his machete but once he did, he obliged nicely.


We have found a handful of restaurants that are fantastic. Since it was such a short trip, we go to them all four nights. An Italian place, Dolce Vita, the first and last night and a Asian place, Archie Wok, the other two nights. Dolce Vita serves the best wood fired pizza we have eaten. Sounds maybe a bit crazy to go to Mexico to have good pizza but they nail it every time.


 Both places the majority of the serving staff has been there since we can remember Walk in and they remember you right away. Always some good laughs.



Outside Archie's Wok with Archie's daughter. The staff here are very chill and even though they can get very busy, they stay calm and relaxed. Something to emulate.

Click to enlarge. Great story on Archie's Wok.


The people are great in PV. Can't but love the guy riding to work with the bucket.
Riding along the Rio Cuale one morning.
There have been some springs that the river is just a trickle. Stopping on a bridge that was just built in recent years.
Stopping at a high point. One year I rode a few more hours back to a mountain village tucked away in the mountains I hope to get back to some day. The riding is endless. Beautiful scenes. The heat index was near 100 so I didn't push it too much and never wanted to be out more than 2 hours. The year after I had Lyme we came down here and I couldn't handle more than 15 minutes. Being able to do what I can now makes me appreciate health all that much more.
Most of the days were cloudy but the weather was still nice.
Back in from the morning ride, meeting Jonell poolside.
Do you need a taxi?


Awesome trip! Went by to fast. Hope to be lucky enough to return again soon!

No comments: