Saturday, May 07, 2016

Mountain Bike Action

Last weekend I hit up the first Minnesota Mountain Bike Series Race (MNMBS) in Saint Croix Falls, WI. at the Woolly Trail. Full race report on skinnyski but thought I'd add a few more comments.



Team photo before my race in between the other races. It's awesome to see the growth of the Maplelag mountain bike team, especially on the women's side. There are kids from 9 years old to 65 representing all classes and divisions.....awesome!

 One of the things I look forward to the most going to the races is seeing all the folks I've met over the year. Such great people. Tucker Hibbert and his wife Mandi have been getting in to the mtb race scene and hit up the races when their schedule allows. They have been coming to the Maplelag race Labor day weekend the past 4 years maybe. For those of you that know Tucker, he is world class snocross athlete having won 14 medals at the ESPN X games. With that said, he is one of the nicest folks you will meet and is a guy his sponsors should be honored to have on board. Top shelf.
 TMB Images catching the racing action. Finding the race zone the first race of the year is a fine line. Good be be mixing it up, hope to race at least once a month this summer, maybe sneak in another one if schedule allows. I made the jump to a hardtail 29er this year (big thanks to LaMere Cycles for the support this year) and after a month of riding and "testing" I give it two thumbs up. Still dialing in the handling part of it on the berms mostly but so far so awesome. Really like how it plows the rocks and rooty sections.
 Jeff Hall racing a "half fat" bike en route to another convincing win. Jeff and I started racing pretty much at the same time and always good to catch up with him and his beautiful family.
 Same deal with Wallace. The first years back in the 90's, I always got him and Geno mixed up. Always enjoy having he and his family two times a year at Maplelag.
 Post race with Jeff. His Chequemegon win last fall was really special to him and it was fun talking to him about it. We also talked about some of the old Spirit Mountain courses that were real mountain biking. Maybe not the best for the overall mountain biking crowd but the courses there you will most likely never see in cross country racing again in the Midwest unless you are doing enduro.
 After the race I was convinced by the locals to stop at the "Drive In" It was well worth the stop. Made from fresh burgers and a classic old time drive in. Malts pretty good as well. I was going to book straight to Duluth to see Jake but I was too hungry.
Met up with Jake and his girlfriend Anna for supper than Jake and I met up Monday morning for a ride at Piedmont which remains my favorite mtb trail system in the Midwest.
 I haven't been in Duluth very often to enjoy bluebird skies, no wind and perfect temps. Wow, what a morning with Jake.  Doesn't get any better!
 Jake has really taken to the Enduro type riding, riding he grew up with and raced on more. Rode everything there like nothing. Made me proud. I noticed in the race Sunday some of the handling skills of the junior riders. All I have to say is I hope this younger kids ride stuff that makes their parents nervous. There is risk in anything in life but..
 Riding the rocks on a new double black. Really liking the 29er through here...
 There were 3-4 sections I had to dismount, maybe with a full suspension I would think about it but 10-15 rock drops I'll pass for now.
 Hand built berm action. Fun stuff!
 There is a rock section, think it is called admiral rock bar that I haven't been able to "clean" before but did this time twice. Think the rocks are place better and will say the bigger wheels give more confidence.
 More rocks.

On the way home I passed through Remer and had to stop at the coffee shop there having stopped there before and experienced fantastic service. Remer is playing up the Sasquatch thing, staking claim that it lives in the area. Probably some made up stories but apparently some tv show is coming there this summer to film a segment.
 In search of Sasquatch?
 A must stop in Remer!
 Super friendly staff, pretty good coffee.


Made it home early enough to get a lot of outside work done on probably the nicest day this spring. Beautiful end an awesome day!


No comments: