Sunday, May 27, 2007

A great day at Sandilands. Weather was perfect, course was primo. This course is one of my favorites, anywhere. No buildings, no cars, just a sweet blend of tight twisty singletrack, behind the saddle drop/switchbacks, with some fast quad trails and leg ripping punchy climbs. Very grass roots feel. Total deep woods. No fields, clearings etc.
Jack did the kids race. The kids race is the first race on the day. Gets all those restless kids settled down. They sent them in the woods on the roots and singletrack and the big puddle to go through. Jack had fun, crocs and all. He said he back almost broke though. Two laps. 15 min. kids race. Nice.

The old man did okay today. Jake only did one lap and I did five. Jake and Chris Benson pulled away and Jake took the win over Chris by 30 seconds. They beat all the 17 and under, (after the first lap) I was the only elite. I started with about 30 experts. Group of four of us rode the first lap together and then I pulled away when I was getting through the singletrack better, holding about a 45-60 second gap. I tried to keep my lap times equal so I wouldn't sandbag the last lap since the experts only did four. The last lap hurt a bit more. Total race time was just under 2.5hrs so a long race. Close to 45km. My knees hurt on the last lap. I think I need to tweak the seat just a bit more. The Moto ripped it up nicely. Really felt smooth and accelerated snappy.
Jake was out on course after his race taking some pics of the racers. He didn't make it to the double arrow decents but this shows a glimpse what is was like. We'll post all the photos on skinnyski next week.
The Benson family was there, among some other friendly Candians I know. This is Scott.
Bill was the first expert. He was just under a minute behind me when he finished and I went out for the fifth lap all by my lonesome. This guy is fast and a animal. Super fun day. Glad it worked out we could go.

No comments: