Friday, October 02, 2015

NAHL Showcase

Last weekend Jon participated in the NAHL showcase for the third straight year. The showcase features all the NAHL teams plus the HS Elite league, along with U18 and U16 teams. Games start on Tuesday and run through Sunday from 7:30am until 11pm. Lots of hockey. There are a lot of scouts from college, JR to NHL. The showcase has a different feel than other tournaments or showcases. With the opportunity for kids to "showcase" themselves there seems to be a bit more nervous energy in the air. I caught bits and pieces of some of the other games, looking for kids we knew that are now playing in the "NA". Heard some interesting comments including the parent that was telling a younger son "he doesn't care if he is trying out vs his friends, he needs to play more physical" 

With the scheduling at the resort and Jon's team being the recipient of one of the 730am games on Saturday morning, Jonell took him down Friday night for the morning game. The second game wasn't until 8pm so I went down for that and Jonell came back.
NAHL score sheet.
Jon played in Rink 5 Saturday night which out of all 8 rinks, it is probably the coldest. The parents were commenting how cold they were and this kid was having no issue enjoying a ice cream cone!

It was a short Saturday night but once again nice to stay at family. Get the chain lubed Garrett, next time we are riding.

Sunday morning I had about an hour so made the trek over to Lebanon Hills which is a short distance from Garrett's house and rode a loop. This is my fourth of fifth time riding there and like I said before, probably my favorite trail in the metro, out of the ones I've ridden. The above section is a fun sweeping berm that sticks out on the system, next to the rock garden segments. Ever since I've started making mtb singletrack 25 years ago, places I've ridden have always influenced the build. I started on a new loop over by Bullhead lake this fall and there will most likely be a piece that has a "Lebanon" feel to it.


Since I was gone Sunday, Jack covered walleye frying duties for me in the kitchen at the resort for a afternoon group. He covered nicely. Well done Jack. Thanks!

No comments: